Active Release Technique (ART) is a form of soft tissue therapy that is used to treat chronic pain and sports injuries. It involves applying pressure to specific body areas while moving the muscles and joints in specific ways to release tension and improve the range of motion.
Chronic pain is a very common problem nowadays. Although the exact cause of chronic pain is often unknown, it can be caused by various conditions, such as poor posture, overuse, trauma, and even emotional stress. ART works in conjunction with conventional treatments to relieve chronic pain, providing long-term relief for many patients. It can be difficult to manage and can have a significant impact on a person’s daily life.
In this blog post, we explore the benefits of the Active Release Technique (ART) for chronic pain management. We will also discuss the causes of chronic pain, provide an overview of ART, and explore how it can help relieve chronic pain.
Causes of chronic pain
- Arthritis: This is a common cause of chronic pain, and it occurs when there is inflammation in the joints. The pain can be mild or severe and is often accompanied by stiffness and swelling.
- Fibromyalgia: This is a chronic condition that causes widespread pain throughout the body, along with other symptoms such as fatigue and sleep disturbances.
- Headaches: Migraines, tension headaches, and cluster headaches can all cause chronic pain that can significantly impact a person’s quality of life.
- Nerve damage: When nerves are damaged, they can cause chronic pain that can be severe and debilitating.
- Cancer: Pain is a common symptom of cancer, particularly in the later stages of the disease.
- Endometriosis: This is a condition in which tissue similar to the lining of the uterus grows outside of it, leading to severe pain in the pelvic area, particularly during menstruation.
- Back pain: Back pain can be caused by various factors, including herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and muscle strains.
- Injuries: Chronic pain can result from injuries that have not healed properly, such as broken bones or torn ligaments.
What is Active Release Technique (ART)?
Active Release Technique (ART) is an innovative manual therapy used to treat soft tissue problems. It uses a combination of massage, tension, and motion to identify and treat areas of restriction or tension found in muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, and nerves.
This approach may seem simple, but it has been clinically proven to reduce pain and increase the range of motion. Practitioners of ART use their hands to feel for areas that are tight or dry, caused by adhesions that can cause pressure on associated nerves and muscles.
Once these points are identified, they can be treated with the specific hands-on protocol unique to ART. According to patient reviews, this procedure generally feels great during and immediately after the treatment.
Benefits of Active Release Technique for Chronic Pain Management
There are many potential benefits to using the Active Release Technique (ART) for chronic pain management. Some include are:-
Relieves muscle tension
ART targets areas of muscle tension and adhesions, which can cause chronic pain and discomfort. By releasing these tight areas, patients may experience relief from muscle pain and tightness.
Improves range of motion
It can help to improve joint mobility and flexibility by breaking up scar tissue and adhesions that can limit movement.
It can help to reduce inflammation in the affected area by promoting circulation and lymphatic drainage.
Addresses nerve entrapment
It can effectively treat nerve entrapment syndromes, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, by releasing pressure on the affected nerve.
It can be used to treat tension headaches caused by muscle tension and adhesions in the neck and shoulders.
Speeds up recovery time
It can help to accelerate the healing process by promoting blood flow to the affected area and reducing inflammation.
Increases athletic performance
It can be used to treat sports injuries and improve athletic performance by addressing muscle imbalances and promoting proper movement patterns.
It is a non-invasive treatment option that does not require surgery or medication.
Individualized treatment: It is tailored to the specific needs of each patient, making it a highly personalized treatment option.
Who can benefit from ART for chronic pain management?
Anyone who suffers from chronic pain can benefit from Active Release Technique (ART). It is especially helpful for those with the following:
- Muscular tension and spasms
- Soft tissue damage, such as sprains and strains
- Chronic headaches or migraines
- Back, shoulder, neck, and joint pain
- Sports injuries or overuse injuries
- Chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia
- Joint stiffness or limited range of motion.
Is ART effective for chronic pain management?
It has been clinically proven to be effective in treating chronic pain. Many people who have used it report feeling relief from muscle tension and spasms, increased mobility and range of motion, improved circulation, and reductions in inflammation.
Studies have also shown that ART may help to reduce the intensity of headaches and reduce the risk of injury in athletes. Additionally, it can be used to speed up the recovery time from injuries or surgeries.
Ultimately, ART is a safe and effective treatment option for those suffering from chronic pain. It may not be a cure-all solution, but it can help to reduce discomfort and improve quality of life.
Active Release Technique (ART) is an effective treatment option for those suffering from chronic pain in all age groups. There are numerous benefits of ART, but it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before beginning treatment.
Here at Procure Physio, we specialize in helping patients reduce their chronic pain and improve their quality of life through the use of ART. Our highly trained practitioners are able to tailor an individualized treatment plan for each patient, ensuring optimal results.
Contact us today to learn more about how the Active Release Technique can help you manage your chronic pain!